Just a reminder that our next philosophers’ lunch will be 12.15pm this Sunday 19th November.
And a reminder that later that same day will be the first in our JOURNEYING events for the year, this one being JOURNEYING THROUGH SMALL THINGS starting at 5pm with wine and cheese (see attached flyer).
Estelle Pearce has kindly suggested a topic for this Sunday’s Philosophers’ lunch. It came from watching a Back Roads episode on the ABC focussing on Tennant Creek in which Paralympian Kurt Fearnley explores what is being done in the town to address intergenerational trauma amongst indigenous people, particularly youth. The episode goes for 28 minutes if you have a chance to look at prior to the day:-
ABC BACK ROADS
There were some quite wonderful things shown on the program, including:-
- YouthLinks: giving indigenous youth fun sporting activities to engage in, keeping them off the streets and out of trouble
- A volunteer group, members of whom walk around at night, engaging with you
- A group of male artists engaging with difficult themes via art
- Dedicated teachers seeking to make a different through the empowering effects of education
- The local Catholic Church: not just for Catholics, not just for the religious, but a place for everyone.
See you on Sunday!